[A.Z.] The Tekong Chronicles

This is the life story of a young Singaporean male, still a boy, whose turn to serve his National Service in Pulau Tekong has come. This is his record of the journey, that will change him to what he was, a mere boy, to what he could be; a soldier, a protector, a man.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

January 8, 2005 (Day 1)

Pulau Tekong Besar. The breeding grounds of the Singapore Armed Forces. The island where boys are sent to become men.

And it shall be where I shall be trapped for the next 9 weeks of my life.

And so it begins. It was only half a day, but it was already enough confirmation of my worst fears. Yelling sergeants, hectic pace, crap food, brumb balls for company, and at the end of it all, I was already close to tears, as lights out, and so did the time when I could finally call out to the world, approached.

Well, I called home first, and well, I was still able not to crack at hearing my family's voices, for they didn't mean much to me in the first place, and probably won't be for a while yet. But.....I finally broke when I called N. She has always meant so much to me, and now I appreciated hearing her voice even more, in my current sorry state. Even now, I'm struggling to hold in my tears as I am writing.......but I must. I must for all of those I love......N, EL, all the girls.....enough.

Maybe in the next few days, I will learn how to be emotionally detached.......goodness knows I'll need it to survive these 9 weeks.

Until then.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home